One advantage of using OCAD for course setting is that you can export any OCAD map to your smartphone for vetting the location of a control directly on the OCAD map appearing on your smartphone. Detailed instructions are on the Ocad website.
The post describes how to use a georeferenced tiff file that you can generate by using the export command in OCAD 11.3.10 and higher. Then using a free offline mapping app like Avenza Maps on your smartphone when you are out on the course.
- Export your map as a tiff file to your Dropbox account, click “create world file” in OCAD to have the image georeferenced.
- Open Avenza Maps on your smartphone (it asks you to link to your dropbox account)
- Once you are located within the shown map area, the far left bottom of the app has an arrow for determining your location which is marked as a grey circle on the map.
- Register for a free Dropbox account if you have none
- Install the free Dropbox app
- Install free Avenza Maps app