Author Archives: regan

Palmer-O Results

Wednesday, February 15, 2017
Downtown Deli, Palmer

The night orienteering event in Palmer was well received by about 50 participants who had either 30 or 60 minutes to collect points. The winner nearly ‘cleared’ the course, missing only one 10-point control. Many well-lit runners cross-crossed downtown Palmer. The recent snow helped astute runners follow tracks to more difficult controls. The Palmer Downtown Deli made a warm and bright gathering place before and after the race. Thanks to meet director Pete LaFrance for bringing orienteering to the Mat-Su Valley.

60 Minute Score-O

Name Points
Matthew Sandvik 510
Dan Billman 380
Ocean, Grace, Amy 340
Roger LaFrance 330
Denali and Walter 300
Lorene Lynn 300
Anne Billman 300
Bill Johnson 280
Mykennan R 260
Jamesyn 260
Amber Rinella 240
Brian Fay 230
Joe Hackenmueller 230
Mike and Clare Shea 200
Danielle, Pat and Andree 170
Joyce K 140
Stephanie Burchel 140
Robin Turk 140
Sharon Powder 140
AJ and Joe S 130
Shirley 80

30 Minute Score-O

Name Points
Amy Anette Steen 110
Clayton 110
Dot Helm 30

P.S. We would love your feedback! If you have criticisms, praise, suggestions, comments, or whatever – please let us know.

Special Event – Orienteering in Palmer

Night Score-O type event in downtown Palmer with navigation suitable for beginners and terrain suitable for all speeds and fitness levels. And it’s in the dark!

When: Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2017. Sign up at 6:30. Start at 7 pm.

Duration: Choose 30 minutes or 60 minutes

Where: Palmer, start/finish at Downtown Deli, 550 South Alaska Street (map)

Cost: $5, free for 18 and under

Reflective Gear and Flashers are Required! You will also want a headlamp for reading the map

Minutes of Jan 3, 2017 Board Meeting

Arctic Orienteering Club
Board of Directors’ Meeting
January 3rd, 2017
Minutes

Members Present: Mike Robinson; Dela Grey; Lexi Hill; Ian Moore; Regan Sarwas; Shelly Laws; Chris Thompson; Joyce Goodell; Art Harmon; Dan Billman; Anne Billman; Jill Follet

Called to Order 7:16

Old Business:

  1. Website changes: Dela asked to have first thing on the website to be the “next event” instead of the “last event”. Regan will put a link on webpage to download the O schedule
  2. Coordinating volunteers: tabled until the new schedule is finalized
  3. Meets: Much discussion on Crevasse Moraine, Fossil Creek. Many tweeks were made, and meets swapped for different dates. Lexi will rewrite and send the updated schedule to Mike to update the runners calendar. Discussion to add a couple of Ski-O’s. Art and Shelly showed interest in this. No dates were set.
  4. O in downtown Palmer in February, but Pete LaFrance is flexible. Discussion was should this be a training event or an “O” scheduled event. Board decided this to move toward an event, we provide equipment, support. Pete to provide Insurance and permitting, and also to provide a street map. Anne volunteered to help.

New Business:

  1. Healthy Futures can donate $100 to club, instead of the $1000 in previous years. Consensus was that kids still orienteer free. We will look for additional sponsors; possibly advertising “matching” format. The idea of putting sponsor’s name on front page of Web Page-there is plenty of room. Kids run free 2017 logo will be on the website, and discussion will continue.
  2. The donation of a six acre park in Bear Valley is not something the Club in interested in acquiring. It’s a nice gesture, but not much use to the club. We are not interested in becoming property “owners”.
  3. Mapping in 2017. Ians ideas regarding FNBP-do a chunk of it; it’s expensive but a well used area; and clean up areas of map. Also, continue with RA; Bartlett. Eagle River-1 mile from the ERNC has great woods, terrain. Great opportunity for O’s, but its far out, 5$ parking (and lot is small), and a 1 mile walk to the “start” area. This may not benefit all who want to do O’s. Dan (along with a majority of the board) is for improving FNBP. Chris is interested int the Eagle Glen golf area. Dan asked if Chugach St. Park allows up to map the area. Many ideas for this years mapping. Discussion and decision will continue.
  4. Feb 6th will be the next Board meeting, and Regan will host. Questions posed to think about: What does “O” mean to us? What do we want/expect from the O club? Do we want more maps, and or better experiences? We need more dialogue about what do the Orienteers want from our Club. What do Orienteers want from the club experience?
  5. Dan sent USO fee payment in for $1300 to include Insurance and starts.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:46

Minutes respectfully submitted by Joyce Goodell, Secretary

Minutes also available as a Word Doc

Ski-O Training Opportunity

Dimond HS Ski Team will be hosting an informal 1 hour Ski Score-O for high school skiers not traveling to the Besh Cup Races this weekend. They have invited the public to participate as a training event.

The start will be at 12 Noon Saturday (Jan. 21, 2017) at the Raspberry parking lot in Kincaid Park. If you are doing this as a training event, you can show up before during or after, but the controls are only guaranteed to be up around race time. You will need to show up near the start time to get a map.

It will not be very technical course – most of the controls will be on the trails.

This is not a club event, and your participation is at your own risk.

Contact Shelly Laws (shellylaws@ak.net) for more information.

Questions about Mapping

The Arctic Orienteering Club board is trying to decide what sort of mapping projects to work on in 2017 and would like input from club members and meet participants. Orienteering maps can be expensive to create and maintain. Skilled “mappers” must be brought in to walk the terrain and make significant corrections and additions to existing topo maps and data. The board is considering several options and would like to know what is important to you.

Please take 5-10 minutes to answer this brief survey before our next board meeting on February 6th.

https://goo.gl/1GrmDo

Ski-O Training Opportunity

Junior Nordic is celebrating the end of their first session by having all groups meet at Kincaid Park on Saturday, January 6th and doing a Ski-O course. Junior Nordic will use the course from 10:15-11:30, so you might not want to be out there with 300+ kids, but we will leave the course out for the rest of the day Saturday. The course is a Score-O format, meaning that you can choose the order that you do the controls. The Junior Nordic skiers have a 1 hour time limit, but feel free to take as long as you’d like. The course is intended to be at the beginner level.

There are two maps for the course: one using the club’s OCAD map as the base map, and another using a ski trail map. The main advantage of the ski trail map is that it shows the directions of one-way trails, which is important to know if you are not familiar with the Kincaid ski trails. Otherwise, the OCAD map is superior for navigation. Please look at the instructions on the control card before going out and use extreme caution if you decide to go backwards on any of the trails.

This course is for training purposes only. This is not a club event and you assume all risk by going out on it.

Orienteering Map
Ski Trails Map
Score Card

If anyone is interested in helping to take down the course Sunday morning/afternoon, please contact Art Harmon at 333-2422.

Minutes of Nov 3, 2016 Board Meeting

Arctic Orienteering Club
Board of Directors’ Meeting
November 3rd, 2016
Minutes

Called to order at 7:15

Attending: Mike Robinson, Dela Grey, Lia Keller, Regan Sarwas, Ian Moore, Cory Smith, Lexi Hill, Art Harmon, Shelly Laws, Jill Follett

Minutes from August 16 approved

Old business

a. Mike will hold the meet director glasses for Joyce and Brian

b. Thank yous: Mike will check with Dan for the list, sign them at our next meeting.

c. Outstanding fees or bills: Lexi and Anne will wrap up MOA and BLM fees

i. Dan sent a message that we have $8900.00 in checking with no outstanding bills. If you need reimbursement, please contact him.

Coordinating volunteers

Art indicated needing a method to match volunteers with meet directors needing help. We also need a way to thank the volunteers.

a. Options discussed were signup.com, googledocs and/or volunteers (indicating if a novice or experienced) selecting a meet and the director will contact them.

b. Meet directors are encouraged to ask NOW if they will need help.

c. Jill encouraged a direct call to volunteers to make a personal connection.

d. We will have a specific proposal and possible “Pilot Project” at next meeting.

2017 Schedule

Reviewed and some changes were indicated.

a. Discussion about our involvement in the Big-O on May 2nd. Possibility of not having it one our events, but rather holding a meet on May 3 or the weekend.

b. Ski-O: Shelly would like to use the club’s gear for an ASD meet. We could tell members it is a training event providing the map on the internet.

Training

a. Corey will provide a similar format and calendar to last year – possibility of adding a meet director training.

b. He indicated a high level of those attending meets after their training.

c. Idea of providing small ‘try it outs’ at meets (i.e., pacing in the woods, compass bearings, corridor maps)

d. Ideas discussed for helping racers move up a level

Fees

Fees will stay the same and the board agreed to continue the “First Time Free”

a. Mike will contact Trond about the Healthy Future’s grant for under 18.

Website

a. Regan would like to move our documents from GoDaddy to GoogleDocs with a folder for each VP position.

b. Mike will look into Google for Non-Profits as it has many useful features.

UA Ski support letter

While the entire board supports the cause, it was decided to not use the AOC mailing list as it is not directly related to orienteering.

Equipment

a. Trailer: Declined as the possible liability and members not having correct hitches.

b. Regan will buy folding tables.

c. Electronic punch: tabled

Mapping

a. What do we want for our club in the future (New maps? National meet?)

b. We have money and need to decide how it can best be used.

Outreach

a. Girl scout encampment on June 2-3, volunteers needed as it is worthwhile

b. Find a way to work with the boy scouts and provide training.

c. Mike would like to have more outreach to groups that overlap with our members by attending their board meetings

d. Find a way to increase attendance by younger community members

Runner’s Calendar

Mike and Ruth will provide printing for the schedule cards and also submission of calendar to the Runner’s Calendar.

Meeting adjourned at 8:50.

Minutes are also available as a Microsoft Word Document

2017 Executive Board

The officers of the Club and three elected at-large Board members shall constitute the Executive Board.

Officers of the Club

President
The President shall coordinate the affairs of the Club and preside at meetings.
Mike Robinson
Mike Robinson
786-1001
Mike moved from Florida to Alaska on a whim over 20 years ago and discovered his love of the outdoors. He likes orienteering because the running is optional but the thinking is not.
Administrative Vice President
The Administrative Vice-President shall assist the President and shall assume the duties of the President in the President’s absence.
Dela Grey
Dela Grey
929-9930
I got introduced to orienteering in the fall of 2005 and was hooked immediately. I have always loved maps, and am happy to have found a place where being a map geek is cool! If I ever take up running, I could become seriously competitive. For now, it’s just great physical and mental exercise in the beautiful outdoors. AOC Board member since 2012 (At-Large 2012, Admin. VP 2013 – present).
Secretary
The Secretary shall maintain current records of the general affairs of the Club, including meeting minutes and correspondence. The Secretary shall keep the Articles of Incorporation, Certificate of Incorporation, Bylaws, Policy Guidelines and resolutions in a binder, and may post any of these documents on the Club’s webpage.
Joyce Goodell
Joyce Goodell
348-0012
Orienteer since 2000, Club member for 10 seasons, on the board for the past three years as Member at Large.
Treasurer
The Treasurer shall maintain accurate and current records of the financial affairs of the Club.
Dan Billman
Dan Billman
345-1749 (home) 644-2042 (work)
Dan Billman joined ARCT in the mid-1990s and has been a Board member most of the time since. He’s served as President, Vice President of Events, and the past 4 years as Treasurer. He loves to run in the woods.
Vice President of Media
The Vice President of Media shall promote the Club and specific events, including disseminating news of Club activities (newspaper and website), and contacting potential sponsors for donations.
Lia Keller
Lia Keller
Running around the woods in orienteering meets for the last four years. My boys used to be in backpacks, but now they run ahead to find the flags!
Vice President of Equipment
The Vice President of Equipment shall store, care for and monitor the Club’s equipment, including providing forms and supplies for Club functions.
Regan Sarwas
Regan Sarwas
345-1915 (home) 230-0433 (cell)
Regan followed his Alaskan bride to Anchorage in 1992. Once his three kids were mostly grown, he needed a new hobby and fell in love with orienteering in 2011. Being an engineer and a computer programmer, he enjoys the intellectual challenge of orienteering. As he nears 50, he also appreciates the fact that he has a lot of room for improvement in orienteering, despite the fact that his body is slowing down.
Vice President of Mapping
The Vice President of Mapping shall identify and review locations suitable for Club events and coordinate the preparation of suitable maps.
Ian Moore
348-0237
Vice President of Training
The Vice President of Training shall organize and direct the teaching of orienteering skills in schools, lectures and workshops.
Cory Smith
Vice President of Events
The Vice President of Events shall propose a schedule of events, secure permission from land owners, designate meet directors for events, and coordinate assistance and training for meet directors.
Lexi Hill
Vice President of Membership
The Vice President of Membership shall maintain an accurate and current list of members and interested non-members, and shall notify those whose membership has expired.
Art Harmon
Art Harmon
333-2422
Art loves the thrill of the “hunt” and sharing that love with others, especially children.

At-Large Board Members

The at-large members have no specific officer duties beyond the responsibilities of the Executive Board. Nevertheless, the at-large members are typically responsible for some non-official duties.

Member At-Large
Jill Follett
346-2294
Member At-Large
Shelly Laws
243-1274 (home) 230-2639 (cell)
Member At-Large
Liaison to Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson
Chris Tomsen
Chris Tomsen
244-7700

Prior Executive Boards

Training Opportunity

If you are looking for a fun fall training opportunity, Bill Spencer has set a training course at Ruth Arcand Park just for you! The course will only be available this weekend (Oct 15-16), so act now!

Just print the map, then head over to Ruth Arcand and have a good time.

screenshot-1

This is not an official club sponsored event, so you accept all the risk involved. Also, please be respectful of the equestrian center and other park users.

Update: Controls 30 and 43 are missing (probably attacked by a moose). Don’t spend too much time looking for them, but if you find them in another spot, please let us know.

Fall-O Results

Saturday, September 10, 2016
Klutina Drive

The Arctic Orienteering Club celebrated the end of the season with an afternoon of orienteering on the east-side of Anchorage in the foothills of the Chugach mountains. While the courses were long, the 44 participants were treated to fantastic weather, no bugs, and beautiful Fall vegetation. Ian Moore won the season finale on the expert course and Jen Jolliff had the fast time among the women. The meet was preceded by the annual membership meeting and followed by an after-party at a nearby home.

Thanks to Mike Robinson & Ruth Kvernplassen for designing and setting the courses; Cory Smith for checking controls before the meet; Steve McKeever, Jaime Bronga, Tim Samuelson for taking down controls down; and Karen & Tom Bronga for hosting the end-of-season party.

Red, 6.9 km, 22 controls

Men

1) Ian Moore, 1:04:36; 2) Gary Snyder, 1:25:50; 3) Dan Billman, 1:48:35; 4) Mike Hendricks, 2:01:30

Women

1) Jen Jolliff, 1:47:00; 2) Brittany Hippe, 3:00:40

Team

1) Ariel Hippe & Shelly Laws, 3:20:35

Green, 5.5 km, 18 controls

Men

1) Brian Durrell, 1:36:13; 2) Daniel Baird, 2:11:20; 3) Mark Findlay, 2:55:20

Women

1) Anne Billman, 1:58:49

Team

1) David & Diana Evans, 1:18:17; 2) Erik & Mischa Carlson, 2:09:58

Orange, 4.4 km, 16 controls

Team

1) Ted, Ginny & Springer Moore, 1:52:40; 2) Karen Bronga & Jamie Lang, 1:59:46; 3) Drew Dekreon & Charese Gearhart-Dekreon, 2:33:38

Yellow, 3.4 km, 14 controls

Team

1) Sienna Noffsinger, Sultana Noffsinger, Cindy Jensen & Trond Jensen, 1:07:42; 2) Carrie Whitman, Dela Grey, Lexi Hill & Baird Carlson, 1:28:43; 3) Barbara Brown, Tim Wiepking & Connie Quinley, 1:46:53

White, 2 km, 13 controls

Team

1) Lia, Trudy, Kincaid & Duke Keller 0:30:42; 2) Andrew Harmon & Owen Lovejoy 0:39:00; 3) Arthur Harmon & the littlest Harmon, 0:42:00

This was the last meet of the season. Thanks for supporting orienteering, and we will see you next year.

P.S. We would love your feedback! If you have criticisms, praise, suggestions, comments, or whatever – please let us know.