The Arctic Orienteering Club will have the Alaska State Orienteering Championships at the North America Orienteering Championships in Whitehorse, Canada on August 18th and 19th, 2018. There will be 1st through 3rd place medals for Alaskans in each class. The classes are separated into men and women and further divided by age groups (see table).
|Individual Championship Classes (Alaska Champs and North American Champs)|
|Open Championship Competitive Classes (Alaskans Only)|
|M/F White||F Yellow||F Orange||F Brown||F Green||M Red|
|M Yellow||M Orange||M Brown||M Green|
Age class ranges are indicated by a “-” and/or a “+”. A “-” before the age means “and younger”; the “+” after the age means “and older”. Gender classes contain M for male and F for female. Classes containing the course color are open to any age.
Examples are Bold in above table
- Female, 10 and under on the White course
- Male, 11-12 on white course
- Male, 21-34 on red course
- Female, 35-39 on green course
- Male, 40-44 on red course
- Male, 50-54 on green course
- Male, 65-70 on brown course
There are many categories; almost every person who finishes will get an Alaska Champs medal. These are normal USOF class competition standards. You can even run the Orange or Yellow courses at any age and compete for a medal in the Open Alaska categories. There are no medals for teams. An adult can shadow a young person. (with permission from meet director, but give no help)
Reasons for Going
- There are a large group of Alaskans going. Plan to carpool and camp out.
- Great Orienteering in open pine forest on wonderful maps
- The weather in August in Whitehorse is sunny and warm with no bugs.
- There are a variety of other Orienteering courses all week long, including relays.
- There is really great mountain biking!
- Meet hundreds of friendly “O” people from all over the world.