Arctic Orienteering Club
Meeting of the Board of Directors
January 17th, 2018
Members present: Chris Tomsen; Dorn VanDommelen; Dela Grey; Eric Follet; Toby Schworer; Mike Robinson; Art Harmon; Mark Findlay; Andy Olnes
Corrections to December Minutes
- Add Mark Findlay to attendees
- #4 Correct sill to still
- #7 Replace ‘No decision was made at this time.’ with ‘Club does not include in regular schedule but willing to add if someone volunteers to put one on.’
- #10 Add to end ‘Club may want to try to establish a Mat-Su chapter.’
- Lexi absent so discussion on finalizing season schedule will wait until next meeting.
- Championships in Yukon Aug 17th. Send out announcement to club membership. Should club pay/support 18-25yr old to compete? Hold an Alaska championships at the meet, i.e. recognize the top Alaska competitors.
- Meets in Alaska for possible outside visitors. Some but not a lot of interest on Attack Point forum. August 15th too close. August 8th HS-O maybe too hard to reschedule. August 11 EQ Park? August 12 Mountain-O?
- BSA Camporee May 5th. Dorn working on BSA permitting/insurance. Club volunteers Eric, Chris, Mike, Regan, and Lexi. They will work with Dorn to define activities & events. Hold club event later in day.
Risk management plan
- No one had read it, no comments in google document. People thrown off by size, hard to distinguish between plan itself, practices/policies for consideration & appendix. Concern about being proscriptive, is there liability if we fail to follow set policies?
- Discussed how to proceed. Break it into three separate docs: the plan itself; recommendations to consider about policies/practices; appendix/supplemental stuff. Deadlines for people to comment and discussion on recommendations
- Mappers this summer. 7km to map ER + ERNC + SW Ruth Arcand. $14k for labor and car rental, probably come in lower. CSP board okay with mapping ER. Need to double check with ERNC – Mark will initiate contact. If ERNC ends up no-go, look to another area of
Mat-Su. Maybe save 10% for mapping in Mat-Su?
- Mapping software. Need to standardize mapping and course software. Nice if could use tablet to correct maps / vet courses in field. OpenOrienteering does not import LIDAR or set courses. You can use QGIS to convert LIDAR for import into OpenOrienteering. OCAD12: mapping client ~$700, course setting client ~$60. Toby will look at demo, firm up budget. Eric will check with Ian about what he uses now and his thoughts on OCAD12.
Audit committee report
- Should be done annually at end of year. Two members, not president or treasurer. Mark volunteered, need one more.
Kids Run Free
- Want to do again this year if we can get sponsors. Eric will look at cost, i.e. permit fee per start. Sponsors about $1300 last year ConocoPhillips, HealthyFutures, Dekreons
Set up mailing list for meet directors & assistants & volunteers
Pick Click Give
- $250 application – one time or each year? % take by program? Eric willing to donate $125. Probably worth trying, Mike will get more info.
- Mat-Su? Fairbanks? How to other clubs handle it?
Next meeting March 1-10
Minutes are also available as Word Doc.