Wednesday, August 16, 2017
Mirror Lake Middle School
After an afternoon downpour that nearly drown the meet director while setting out the White and Yellow controls, the skies cleared for the 50 orienteers who view the glass as half full, put aside thoughts of wet feet and hypothermia, and dove into the beautiful, but still dripping forest near Mirror Lake Middle School.
Many thanks to Mike Robinson for vetting course designs; Paul Brusseau for spending long hours field-checking control locations and hanging the remote Orange, Green, and Red controls; Andy Olnes for field-checking the White and Yellow courses and bringing snacks; Curtis and Cayden Townsend for helping set up and man the start/finish tables, and for retrieving White and Yellow controls; Brian Kirchner and Anne Billman for retrieving the remote Orange, Green, and Red controls; Chris Tomsen for impromptu beginner training; Eklutna, Inc. and the Anchorage School District for use of their property; and special thanks to Diana Evans for helping with many tasks and supporting the meet director’s obsession with getting things “just so.”
RED, 5.7 km, 11 controls
1) Ian Moore, 0:59:00; 2) Bill Spencer, 1:03:50; 3) Toby Schwörer, 1:06:45; 4) Peter Oswald, 1:18:12; 5) Brian Kirchner 1:23:10; 6) Regan Sarwas, 1:39:10
1) Jen Jolliff, 1:23:03
1) Pete and Paul La France, and Clove Shea,1:40:35
GREEN, 4.9 km, 9 controls
1) Dan Billman, 1:19:25; 2) Mark Findlay, 1:22:15; 3) Steve Gruhn, 1:29:20; 4) Jeremy Crawford 1:33:30; 5) Dorn Van Dommelin, 1:35:09
1) Agneta Kupilik, 1:50:55;
ORANGE, 3.9 km, 8 controls
1) Brian Kirchner, 0:45:00; 2) Brian Durrell, 1:07:36; 3) Cody Priest, 1:36:00; 4) Andy Olnes DNF
1) Anne Billman, 1:21:33; 2) Karen Bronga 1:28:34
YELLOW, 2.6 km, 12 controls
1) Springer Moore, 0:42:00; 2) Dick Sheasley, 1:23:15
1) Linnea Shaw, Lisa, Melody, and Emma Tochelson 1:08:25; 2) Cash and Nicole Close, Sara Tochelson 1:11:00; 3) Abi and Erica Malouf, Chris Tomsen 1:12:12; 4) Matt, Jane, and Barret Malouf, 1:37:26; 5) Will, Ruth, and Lucille Taygan, 1:57:00; 6) Steve Sandberg, Casper Trivett, Issak Hagelman, and Alex Adams, 2:09:36
WHITE, 2.0 km, 10 controls
1) Laura, Brooke, and Aly Long, 0:47:35; 2) Jim, Skyler, Trish, and Brooke Harty, 1:16:30
This was a points race. Check out how you stand.
Please join us Sunday, August 20th for a Mountain-O in Chugach State Park. Check the links for details.
P.S. We would love your feedback! If you have criticisms, praise, suggestions, comments, or whatever – please let us know.