Minutes of Nov 3, 2016 Board Meeting

Arctic Orienteering Club
Board of Directors’ Meeting
November 3rd, 2016

Called to order at 7:15

Attending: Mike Robinson, Dela Grey, Lia Keller, Regan Sarwas, Ian Moore, Cory Smith, Lexi Hill, Art Harmon, Shelly Laws, Jill Follett

Minutes from August 16 approved

Old business

a. Mike will hold the meet director glasses for Joyce and Brian

b. Thank yous: Mike will check with Dan for the list, sign them at our next meeting.

c. Outstanding fees or bills: Lexi and Anne will wrap up MOA and BLM fees

i. Dan sent a message that we have $8900.00 in checking with no outstanding bills. If you need reimbursement, please contact him.

Coordinating volunteers

Art indicated needing a method to match volunteers with meet directors needing help. We also need a way to thank the volunteers.

a. Options discussed were signup.com, googledocs and/or volunteers (indicating if a novice or experienced) selecting a meet and the director will contact them.

b. Meet directors are encouraged to ask NOW if they will need help.

c. Jill encouraged a direct call to volunteers to make a personal connection.

d. We will have a specific proposal and possible “Pilot Project” at next meeting.

2017 Schedule

Reviewed and some changes were indicated.

a. Discussion about our involvement in the Big-O on May 2nd. Possibility of not having it one our events, but rather holding a meet on May 3 or the weekend.

b. Ski-O: Shelly would like to use the club’s gear for an ASD meet. We could tell members it is a training event providing the map on the internet.


a. Corey will provide a similar format and calendar to last year – possibility of adding a meet director training.

b. He indicated a high level of those attending meets after their training.

c. Idea of providing small ‘try it outs’ at meets (i.e., pacing in the woods, compass bearings, corridor maps)

d. Ideas discussed for helping racers move up a level


Fees will stay the same and the board agreed to continue the “First Time Free”

a. Mike will contact Trond about the Healthy Future’s grant for under 18.


a. Regan would like to move our documents from GoDaddy to GoogleDocs with a folder for each VP position.

b. Mike will look into Google for Non-Profits as it has many useful features.

UA Ski support letter

While the entire board supports the cause, it was decided to not use the AOC mailing list as it is not directly related to orienteering.


a. Trailer: Declined as the possible liability and members not having correct hitches.

b. Regan will buy folding tables.

c. Electronic punch: tabled


a. What do we want for our club in the future (New maps? National meet?)

b. We have money and need to decide how it can best be used.


a. Girl scout encampment on June 2-3, volunteers needed as it is worthwhile

b. Find a way to work with the boy scouts and provide training.

c. Mike would like to have more outreach to groups that overlap with our members by attending their board meetings

d. Find a way to increase attendance by younger community members

Runner’s Calendar

Mike and Ruth will provide printing for the schedule cards and also submission of calendar to the Runner’s Calendar.

Meeting adjourned at 8:50.

Minutes are also available as a Microsoft Word Document