Arctic Orienteering Club
Board of Directors’ Meeting
August 16th, 2016
Call to Order at 7:24 pm
Meeting held at Trond and Cindy Jensen’s home.
In attendance: Trond Jensen, Lia Keller, Dan Billman, Ian Moore, Cory Smith, Dela Grey, Lexi Hill, Regan Sarwas, Shelly Laws, Jill Follett, Anne Billman
1. Annual Meeting
After considering the potential weather, how to attract the most people to the annual meeting, likelihood of meet participants coming to an evening meeting after an afternoon run, the opportunity to socialize and celebrate our orienteering season, the moist condition of people after running an orienteering course, the meet director’s obligations, the availability of indoor venues for a meeting, and the proximity of an indoor venue to socialize, the Board decided on the following events, schedule, and locations.
Annual Meeting: 12:00 to 12:30, at the meet start area east of Klutina Drive. Coffee and donuts – Anne (after-the-fact) will take care of coffee and donuts.
Business: Elections of next year’s Board members, sign-up of meet directors and volunteers, meet director thank-yous (glasses), cumulative season point awards.
Starts between 12:30 and 1:30, must be finished by 4 pm. The meet will be a traditional meet. The meet will be the season championship race.
Start between 4 and 4:30 pm, at the Brongas’ home. Announcement of race winners. Pizza and beverages. Dan and Shelly will bring beverages. Pizza provider – TBD. Encourage attendees to bring snacks to share.
2. Incoming Board of Directors Nominations
Trond Jensen is stepping off of the board.
Anne Billman is stepping off of the board.
Mike Robinson has agreed to be nominated to serve as President. All other existing Board members are willing to continue serving in their present positions. Lia will issue a call for nominations and a call will be issued during the meeting.
Anne will help the next Events VP by acquiring permits and Certificates of Insurance.
Discussion of the need for a volunteer coordinator. Agreement to enlist Art Harmon to fill that role. Lexi will investigate some software that helps sign up volunteers. Shelly’s daughter Brittany has offered to help round up volunteers.
3. Potential Bylaws Change
We continued the discussion of changing the club bylaws to allow the annual meeting to be held at any time of the year, rather than just during the third quarter. The purpose of the Annual meeting was discussed (to elect the Board of Directors, to change the bylaws, …). The term of Board members is tied to the elections, so there was discussion about needing to change that also. Regan Sarwas will draft proposed changes and send to the Board, then revise for voting at the annual meeting.
4. Meet Schedule
Trond reported that he has received feedback about the number of traditional meets (too few) and lack of competitive meets.
- VPs of Events were unable to find enough meet directors to fill all vacancies.
- Possibility of filling some of those vacancies if the need had been advertised.
- Errors by meet directors required throwing one meet out of the season points pool.
- Error by meet directors in not providing full range of courses needed to be used for season meet standings.
- The opportunity to use the same course for two different classes (e.g., red and green) if participants specify which class they will run in.
- Need to use meet directors capable of putting on a quality traditional meet for those meets rather than for simpler ‘fun-only’ meets.
- Appeal of traditional meets to good navigators that can’t sprint/run.
- Beginner orienteers probably don’t care/understand/notice whether meets are traditional or ‘fun’ because it’s all challenging and new.
- When scheduling, make as many as possible traditional meets. Fill meet director roles for traditional meets as a priority.
- Fill summer meet director positions before filling winter and other pre-season meets.
- For some venues (Abbott Loop), having a remote start for more difficult courses would improve the quality of the courses.
- Anne will try to check on permitting constraints at UAF experimental farm/Bradley-Keppler Lakes/Crevasse Moraine area.
- Board members want the record to show that the cupcakes made by Sultana and Siena Noffsinger were excellent.
Adjourned at 9:31 pm
Minutes respectfully submitted by Anne Billman, September 2, 2016
Minutes are also available as a Microsoft Word Document