Saturday, September 10, 2016
The Arctic Orienteering Club celebrated the end of the season with an afternoon of orienteering on the east-side of Anchorage in the foothills of the Chugach mountains. While the courses were long, the 44 participants were treated to fantastic weather, no bugs, and beautiful Fall vegetation. Ian Moore won the season finale on the expert course and Jen Jolliff had the fast time among the women. The meet was preceded by the annual membership meeting and followed by an after-party at a nearby home.
Thanks to Mike Robinson & Ruth Kvernplassen for designing and setting the courses; Cory Smith for checking controls before the meet; Steve McKeever, Jaime Bronga, Tim Samuelson for taking down controls down; and Karen & Tom Bronga for hosting the end-of-season party.
Red, 6.9 km, 22 controls
1) Ian Moore, 1:04:36; 2) Gary Snyder, 1:25:50; 3) Dan Billman, 1:48:35; 4) Mike Hendricks, 2:01:30
1) Jen Jolliff, 1:47:00; 2) Brittany Hippe, 3:00:40
1) Ariel Hippe & Shelly Laws, 3:20:35
Green, 5.5 km, 18 controls
1) Brian Durrell, 1:36:13; 2) Daniel Baird, 2:11:20; 3) Mark Findlay, 2:55:20
1) Anne Billman, 1:58:49
1) David & Diana Evans, 1:18:17; 2) Erik & Mischa Carlson, 2:09:58
Orange, 4.4 km, 16 controls
1) Ted, Ginny & Springer Moore, 1:52:40; 2) Karen Bronga & Jamie Lang, 1:59:46; 3) Drew Dekreon & Charese Gearhart-Dekreon, 2:33:38
Yellow, 3.4 km, 14 controls
1) Sienna Noffsinger, Sultana Noffsinger, Cindy Jensen & Trond Jensen, 1:07:42; 2) Carrie Whitman, Dela Grey, Lexi Hill & Baird Carlson, 1:28:43; 3) Barbara Brown, Tim Wiepking & Connie Quinley, 1:46:53
White, 2 km, 13 controls
1) Lia, Trudy, Kincaid & Duke Keller 0:30:42; 2) Andrew Harmon & Owen Lovejoy 0:39:00; 3) Arthur Harmon & the littlest Harmon, 0:42:00
This was the last meet of the season. Thanks for supporting orienteering, and we will see you next year.
P.S. We would love your feedback! If you have criticisms, praise, suggestions, comments, or whatever – please let us know.